In 1996, Head of Mining Engineering Department Prof.Dr.Ir. Irwandy Arif asked Suseno Kramadibrata to build a laboratory for student practicum at the General Mining Option.
At that time laboratory facilities were very minimal so that the practicum of Blasting, Drilling & Excavation and Ventilation Techniques was still very simple. For this development, it was necessary to first make efforts to revamp the room for the laboratory which at that time was united with the drilling machine equipment warehouse owned by the Mining Engineering Department of ITB. Furthermore, planning to add practicum equipment by designing test equipment and looking for used equipment in several mines in Indonesia that can be used as a model in practicum.
In 1997, Prof. Dr. Ir. Made Astawa Rai as the Rock Mechanics Laboratory Manager asked Suseno Kramadibrata to repair and improve the Rock Mechanics laboratory facilities so that students and lecturers could conduct research in the field of geomechanics. The follow-up is to begin the construction of an integrated General Mining laboratory by taking a room on the ground floor of the East Mine Building.
This General Mining Laboratory was initially to support courses:
- Rock Mechanics,
- Blasting Engineering,
- Drilling & Excavation Engineering,
- Mine Measure,
- Mine Equipment,
- Mine Ventilation,
- Practicum for Measuring Displacement of Underground Pit Walls and Underground Supports.
In accordance with the name and function of the Geomechanics & Mining Equipment Laboratory, and considering the expertise expected of a Geomechanical Engineer includes more or less the following disciplines, the development of laboratory research must support in that direction.
- RockMass Characterization
- RockSlope Engineering
- Rock Support & Reinforcement
- UnderGround Rock Engineering
- In-situRock Testing & Instrumentation
- EngineeringRock Mechanics
- Numerical Modeling & Numerical Analysis
- Probability and Risk in Geomechanics/Environmental Geomechanics
- MineWater Engineering
- GeomechanicsProject Management
- IntegratedProject Research on Mine Pavement/Road Design